UL GENIE I
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UL GENIE I

ULFG I - WE MOVED TO WWW.GENIE-CAFE.NET

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Try to move to Open Source

Go down 
+2
bassam-eter
skywatcher84
6 posters
AuthorMessage
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-03-16

Try to move to Open Source Empty
PostSubject: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 1:58 am

Commençons à se liberer de Windows .... Essayer de nouvelles S.E. par exemple UBUNTU qui est une distro de Linux derivée de Debian.

Sous linux, vraiement c plus stable : La machine ne plante jamais, les logiciels sont plus performants et plus attirants !
Et pour ce qui disent qu' il ya des logiciels qui ne fonctionnent que sous Win...ah ben tu peux les mems logiciels en verions sous Linux..... Sinon on peut utiliser le package Wine (c un package qu'on peut ajouter au S.E. et bien sur Gratuitemen Very Happy ) qui simule l'environnement Windows pour lancer n'importe quelle application de type .exe ....

Juste c 1 link, comparaison entre Vista et Ubuntu - Beryl
Decider !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

Last edited by on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bassam-eter

bassam-eter

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 2:04 am

Je suis d'accord.
Nous allons créer un topic Open Source sur le nouveau forum pour en discuter et les promouvoir.
Seul problème avec les Open Source: pas de vrai responsable et parfois manque de support technique.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itechkey.com
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 2:08 am

beter wrote:
Je suis d'accord.
Nous allons créer un topic Open Source sur le nouveau forum pour en discuter et les promouvoir.
Seul problème avec les Open Source: pas de vrai responsable et parfois manque de support technique.

Well u are right ....
But with little experience, you can manage it ....
Besides, there are Thousands of forums where you can find the answer of any question ! and maybe our forum will be one of them Smile
Back to top Go down
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 2:21 am

Just watch and tell me your opinion

My Ubuntu Beryl Matrix 3D Desktop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgV2GlsufI
Don't Buy Windows Vista - Get Ubuntu for free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHrT-W7DcNc
Ubuntu Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khObOJ2DE4
Tutorial Running Windows Applications on Linux Ubuntu with Wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q564OEmseXE
How to run Windows XP on Linux Ubuntu with Virtualbox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch8X86R6d-g&NR

Last edited by on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
charbel

charbel

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 am

ana bshashe3... in fact it's been a year now since I've moved completely to ubuntu !

and I'm now using Beryl (and sometimes compiz) since a couple of month!!! I can't tell you about my friends reaction when they see my computer... they think it's a 3D game or something like that.

and it's much better posting open source resources instead of warez ones

Last edited by on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 2:31 am

charbel wrote:
ana bshashe3... in fact it's been a year now since I've completely to ubuntu !

and I'm now using Beryl (and sometimes compiz) since a couple of month!!! I can't tell you about my friends reaction when they see my computer... they think it's a 3D game or something like that.

and it's much better posting open source resources instead of warez ones

Lakan lezem nchaje3 el be2yin Smile
Ana kamen ma sarli ktir 3Al UBUNTU, bass ktir mabsout w mani nedmen abadan ! ok bil awal bet7Ess ennak manak merte7 ......... bass hayda la2anou chi jdid, w ba3den ma 7Adan byendam !
Back to top Go down
charbel

charbel

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 am

wine is impressive... I can't imagine the number of application I use with wine... almost as if you are on windows... and in fact it's just for the fun of it... I usually find everything ported to linux.
and recently I'm finding lots of things being ported to windows from linux. search for Windirstat... it's a port of kdirstat.. very nice tool.

Unfortunately wael... using ubuntu needs a high speed internet connection, it's not very practical without high speed internet connection. At least in my opinion
Back to top Go down
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 3:39 am

Yes, you are absoluetly right
For those who don't know, each time you need a package, you must be connected to internet to download it .
Usually, it's not a problem, but in Lebanon, it's might be a problem for a lot of people who doesn't have good connection
10x for bringing this point ............ Really i missed it Smile

Last edited by on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charbel

charbel

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 3:42 am

Wael Kanoun wrote:
For those who don't know, each time you need a package, you must be connected to internet to download it .
Usualy, it's not a problem, but in Lebanon, it's might be a problem for a lot of people who doesn't have good connection

It's not a must if you have all you need on a CD.. you can tell ubuntu (or any Debian) to get it from the CD. But yeah... it's a big inconvenience.
Back to top Go down
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 3:44 am

charbel wrote:
Wael Kanoun wrote:
Usualy, it's not a problem, but in Lebanon, it's might be a problem for a lot of people who doesn't have good connection

It's not a must if you have all you need on a CD.. you can tell ubuntu (or any Debian) to get it from the CD. But yeah... it's a big inconvenience.

Once again, you are right Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hani

hani

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 6:01 pm

as we're talking open source, I think one of the major turning points with linux is the Mono project,

Code:
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

it's an implementation of the .net framework, with a compiler for C#, vb.net ...
it means you can port your C# source to linux and compile it there, even you can take a .NET application that runs on windows and execute it on linux.
the project is about two years old now, it's not complete but it's under heavy development, I think that supporting such a project is a good idea.

I am also using SharpDevelop a free open source IDE for .NET and Mono on Windows.
Code:
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/
it's too much enough for me, I don't need the big VS that has thousands of features that I don't know how to use, and that do not interest me.

another IDE used for Linux is MonoDevelop
Code:

Mono is included in the new versions of linux for distributions such as Knoppix, openSuse and Fedora Core, Ubuntu and many others.
I tried MonoDevelop with openSuse 10.1 and Knoppix 5.0.1

by the way , Mono here is a spanish word that means monkey Very Happy
Back to top Go down
charbel

charbel

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 2:36 am

mmm.... you can't really port your existing c# windows applications to linux using mono... you need to write them specifically to use mono... but you can do the other way round. But still mono is a very interesting port of .net to linux.
Back to top Go down
rhosni

rhosni

Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 2:39 am

Je m'en doute Charbel que tu ne racontes pas des bêtises à cet age de 97 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hani

hani

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 3:00 am

charbel wrote:
mmm.... you can't really port your existing c# windows applications to linux using mono... you need to write them specifically to use mono... but you can do the other way round. But still mono is a very interesting port of .net to linux.

why do you think so ??
did you try it ? I tried it and it worked.
Back to top Go down
charbel

charbel

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 am

yes it works for most simple things... but not for the advanced one.
the Windows Forms support is still not released, for the moment you could only use GTK.

That was the first thing I hit, so I didn't investigate other parts.
Back to top Go down
zico

zico

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 11:24 am

SLT TLM,

Merci de presenter un tuto / ressource pas-a-pas pour transiter d'une facon douce de Windows (proprietaire) a UBUNTU (C'est LIVE CD Linux) est cepas?
Back to top Go down
http://salhab.s5.com
skywatcher84

skywatcher84

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Esce que tu veux avoir les 2 S.E. sur ton PC ?

Last edited by on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zico

zico

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Oui,

Pkoi pas?
Back to top Go down
http://salhab.s5.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Try to move to Open Source   Try to move to Open Source Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Try to move to Open Source
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UL GENIE I :: Science, Technology & Courses-
Jump to: